- since 05/2018 Chief Executive Officer, ZARM Drop Tower Operations and Service Company
- since 03/2016 Director of the Center of Applied Space Technology and Microgravity (ZARM), Full Professor for Fluid Mechanics, University of Bremen, Germany
- 12/2011 to 2/2016 Professor for Simulation of Nano and Microflows at the Institute of Fluid Mechanics of the
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany
- 10/2008 to 11/2011 Postdoctoral Fellow at the Max Planck Institute for Dynamics and Self-Organization,
- 08/2006 to 05/2008 Visiting Scholar School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences at the Arizona State
- 01/2005 to 10/2008 Research Assistant at the Department of Applied Physics, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya,
- 2008 PhD Applied Physics and Scientific Simulation at the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
- 2004 M.Sc. Mathematics at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB), Spain
- 2018 Richard-von-Mises-Prize of the International Association of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics (GAMM)
- 2009 Young Scientist Award European Mechanics Society (Euromech)
- 2005 Doctoral Fellowship Spanish Ministry of Education and Innovation
- 2004 Graduation Prize of the Department of Mathematics (UAB)
- C. Heinicke, L. Orzechowski and M. Avila. The MaMBA-concept for an extraterrestrial base and its first module mock-up. Acta Astronaut., 173:404–413, 2020.
- S. Gasow, Z. Lin, H.C. Zhang, A.V. Kuznetsov, M. Avila and Y. Jin. Effects of pore scale on the macroscopic properties of natural convection in porous media. J. Fluid Mech., 891:A25, 2020.
- T. Schikarski, H. Trzenschiok, M. Avila and W. Peukert. The influence of mixing on the precipitation of organic nanoparticles: A Lagrangian perspective on scale-up based on self-similar distributions. Chem. Eng. & Technol., 42:1635–1642, 2019.
- A. Guseva, A. P. Willis, R. Hollerbach and M. Avila. Dynamo action in a Quasi-Keplerian Taylor–Couette flow. Phys. Rev. Lett., 119:164501, 2017.
- J.Kühnen, B.Song, D. Scarselli, N. B. Budanur, A.P. Willis, M. Avila and B. Hof. Destabilizing turbulence in pipe flow. Nat. Phys., doi:10.1038/s41567-017-0018-3, 2018
- D. Barkley, B. Song, V. Mukund, G. Lemoult, M. Avila, and B. Hof. The rise of turbulent flow. Nature, 526(7574):550–553
- M. Avila, F. Mellibovsky, N. Roland and B. Hof. Streamwise-localized solutions at the onset of turbulence in pipe flow. Physical Review Letters, 110:224502
- A. P. Willis, P. Cvitanović and M. Avila. Revealing the state space of turbulent pipe flow by symmetry reduction. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 721:514–540
- M. Avila. Stability and angular-momentum transport of fluid flows between corotating cylinders. Physical Review Letters, 108:124501
- K. Avila, D. Moxey, A. de Lozar, M. Avila, D. Barkley and B. Hof. The onset of turbulence in pipe flow. Science, 333(6039):192–196
Full publication list