- since 05/2018 Chief Executive Officer, ZARM Drop Tower Operations and Service Company
- since 03/2016 Director of the Center of Applied Space Technology and Microgravity (ZARM), Full Professor for Fluid Mechanics, University of Bremen, Germany
- 12/2011 to 2/2016 Professor for Simulation of Nano and Microflows at the Institute of Fluid Mechanics of the
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany
- 10/2008 to 11/2011 Postdoctoral Fellow at the Max Planck Institute for Dynamics and Self-Organization,
- 08/2006 to 05/2008 Visiting Scholar School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences at the Arizona State
- 01/2005 to 10/2008 Research Assistant at the Department of Applied Physics, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya,
- 2008 PhD Applied Physics and Scientific Simulation at the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
- 2004 M.Sc. Mathematics at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB), Spain
- 2018 Richard-von-Mises-Prize of the International Association of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics (GAMM)
- 2009 Young Scientist Award European Mechanics Society (Euromech)
- 2005 Doctoral Fellowship Spanish Ministry of Education and Innovation
- 2004 Graduation Prize of the Department of Mathematics (UAB)
- A. Vela-Martin and M. Avila. Deformation of drops by outer eddies in turbulence. J. Fluid Mech., 929:A38, 2021.
- C. Verseux, T. P. Ramalho, J. Determann, M.Duckhorn, M. Smagin and M. Avila. A low-pressure, N2/CO2 atmosphere is suitable for cyanobacterium-based lifesupport systems on Mars. Front. Microbiol., 12:611798, 2021.
- D. Xu, M. Heil, T. Seeböck and M. Avila. Resonances in pulsatile channel flow with an elastic wall. Phys. Rev. Lett., 125:254501, 2020.
- T. Schikarski, H. Trzenschiok, W. Peukert and M. Avila. Inflow boundary conditions determine T-mixer efficiency. Reaction Chemistry & Engineering, 3, 559-568, 2019.
- A. Guseva, A. P. Willis, R. Hollerbach and M. Avila. Dynamo action in a Quasi-Keplerian Taylor–Couette flow. Phys. Rev. Lett., 119:164501, 2017.
- D. Barkley, B. Song, V. Mukund, G. Lemoult, M. Avila, and B. Hof. The rise of turbulent flow. Nature, 526(7574):550–553
- M. Avila, F. Mellibovsky, N. Roland and B. Hof. Streamwise-localized solutions at the onset of turbulence in pipe flow. Physical Review Letters, 110:224502
- A. P. Willis, P. Cvitanović and M. Avila. Revealing the state space of turbulent pipe flow by symmetry reduction. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 721:514–540
- M. Avila. Stability and angular-momentum transport of fluid flows between corotating cylinders. Physical Review Letters, 108:124501
- K. Avila, D. Moxey, A. de Lozar, M. Avila, D. Barkley and B. Hof. The onset of turbulence in pipe flow. Science, 333(6039):192–196
Full publication list